GENERAL SERVICES DIVISION
- GENERAL ADMINISTRATION UNIT
- FREEDOM OF INFORMATION UNIT
- SERVICOM UNIT
- GENERAL ADMISTRATION UNIT
The Unit was created in 2005 as General Administration and Council Affairs (GACA) and was headed by Mr. J. A. Araoye, a Deputy Registrar between 2005 and 2007. In July 2007, responsibilities relating to the Governing Council were excised from the Unit. Thus, the change in name to General Administration Unit with Mrs. M. B. Oso, a Deputy Registrar, as Head.
With the renewed vigor of the Registry Department on Staff Training and Development function in the College, the Unit was saddled with the additional responsibility of handling issues of Staff training and development. This led to the change in the name of the Unit again to General Administration / Staff Training and Development in February 2012 with Mr. J. A. Araoye, a Deputy Registrar, back as Head of the Unit. In December 2012, Mr. Lere Oladapo, a Deputy Registrar, took over as Head of the Unit upon the redeployment of the latter to another office.
The Unit was divested of the Staff training and development functions on 28th January 2013. This led to the change in the name of the Unit once again to General Administration with Mr. Lere Oladapo remaining as the Head.
In February 2015, Mr. O. J. Olanlokun (Deputy Registrar) became the Head of the Unit. Mr. Lere Oladapo returned as Head on 7th December 2015. Other Deputy Registrars that have served as Head of the Unit are; Mr. Adeniran Adebisi , Mr. A. A. Ayanlola, Mr. M. A Ajewole (2019 till date). In October 2019, the Department was renamed ‘General Services Division’ which comprises of Three (3) unit; General Administration, Freedom of Information and SERVICOM Unit.
STRUCTURE OF THE UNIT
The Unit is under the Registry Department; hence it is headed by a Deputy Registrar, the choice of which is determined by the Registrar. As a Registry Unit, there are Administrative staff of all cadres who works with the Unit head as the job specification demands.
FUNCTIONS OF THE UNIT
- Implementation of Management and Governing Council decisions on matters outside the purview of other Units of the Registry;
- Involvement in the preparation of agreements, Memorandum of Understanding, and the implementation and monitoring of same;
- Organization of election for Deans of Schools;
- Assisting Management in the constitution/ reconstitution of committees;
- Handling of hotel accommodation matters for College Guests;
- Handling NIPOST/Mail collection and distribution services, as well as telecommunication matters;
- Arranging for disposition of obsolete/waste papers in the College.
- Handling of matters relating to Host Communities, Government Agencies (Code of Conduct Bureau, INEC, NGOs, e.t.c); and
- Performing other related ad-hoc assignments as directed by the Registrar from time to time.
- FREEDOM OF INFORMATION
In compliance with the Federal Government of Nigeria directives under the leadership of the then President, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, the Freedom of Information Act was enacted in 2011 to make information free and accessible to all Nigerians. The Act which has her Secretariat at Abuja under the authority of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice directed that Freedom of Information Unit should be established in every public Institution. Following this directive, the Unit was created in the College in year 2014 and was headed by a Deputy Registrar.
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is not solely concerned with responding to requests for Information. It also requires that all Public institutions shall keep, organize and maintain their records in a manner that make them accessible to the Public.
Also, it requires the public Institutions to proactively disclose certain categories of Information through making such information available to the public, using multimedia format i.e. print, electronic and online media.
“Projecting the good image of the College under its well-organized structure and maintenance of good record keeping for easy accessibility.”
“To be prompt in making information available at point of request.”
PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVES OF THE UNIT
The Unit primary aim is to make information available in line with the Freedom of Information Act based on the philosophy of openness in Governance.
STRUCTURE OF THE UNIT
The Unit is under the Registry Department; hence it is headed by a Deputy Registrar, the choice of which is determined by the Registrar. As a Registry Unit, there are administrative staff of all cadres who works with the Unit head as the job specification demands.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE UNIT
- The Unit is saddled with the responsibility of responding to request for information by either staff of the institution and the public.
- To proactively disclose information to the public through Newsletter, Radio, Information Leaflet, etc.
- The Unit is also responsible for keeping, organising, and maintenance of records in a manner that makes them accessible by the Public.
- Filing incoming mails from different Units in the College.
- Organising data for retrieving information when, and if required.
- Implementation of directives on information related issues.
- To sensitize the College Community on relevant information.
- Assist the Physically Challenged to transcribe Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request.
- Follow up Freedom of Information request and ensure prompt release of information from the appropriate unit or quarters.
- To respond to Freedom of Information requestor application within a stipulated time 7 (seven) to include public holidays and weekends.
- To forward quarterly report of activities of Freedom of Information to Ministry of Justice, Abuja.
- Carrying out other relevant duties that may be assigned.
- There is hardly any School, Unit, or Department of the College that is ignorant of the existence of Freedom of Information Unit.
- The Freedom of Information Unit has continued to increase awareness of members of all Schools, Departments and the public.
- Prompt Information Dissemination: Information are now widely disseminated and made readily available to staff and students on demand through various means including print, electronic and on-line sources and at various offices
- Database Creation: Information are accessed, and data generated periodically to the College community.
- Rumour mongering and distortion of information has reduced drastically arising from the pro-active release of information to the public by the Unit.
- Productivity Enhancement: The Freedom of information Act paved way for productivity enhancement in the College.
- Transparency in College Governance: The Freedom of Information Act improved transparency in College governance
- To publicize the existence of the Freedom of information Act
- To educate the College community on the content of the provision of the Act.
- To organize seminar on the implementation of the Act
- To create a reliable database on the College activity and operation
- To pro-actively release information to the College Community as the need arises.
- SERVICOM UNIT
The SERVICOM Unit is one of the Registry Unit in the College and it was established purposely to enhance good service delivery within and outside the College.
The philosophy and objective of the Unit is centred on:
“Creation of public awareness on the type of services provided and how it is accessed.”
VISION STATEMENT FOR F.C.E. (SPECIAL) SERVICOM
Strategically placing FCE(S) on a global map as a first choice Special Education Institution providing immeasurable opportunities for students with special needs through quality service delivery and friendly workforce with boldness of transparency.
MISSION STATEMENT FOR SERVICOM
To provide quality service delivery within the corporate and cohesiveness of workforce to attain desired goal in time frame.
UNIT SCHEDULE OF DUTIES
SERVICOM is all about quality service delivery, how service is delivered, to whom, when and ultimately checkmating the hindrances to quality service delivery.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE UNIT
- Ensuring quality service delivery.
- Receiving and treating complaint from aggrieved staff and students.
- Ensuring punctuality of staff
- Discouraging corruption, favouritism and tribalism to enhance good service delivery
- Organising seminars, workshops and orientation for staff and students to enhance good service delivery and peaceful co-existence.
- Awarding commendation and punishment to deserving staff and students.
- Educating staff on their rights and privileges.
GOALS OF THE UNIT
The Unit will ensure that the entire College staff strictly adhere to SERVICOM work ethics and also continue to organize Seminars/Workshops in compliance with the SERVICOM work ethics.